Middleton United Church, named for Jessie Middleton in 1871, is the largest church in the Valley, seating 375 people in a full sanctuary, vestibule, and chancel. A hand-painted mural adorns the chancel behind the pulpit and the pews are maintained by the congregation. A small but passionate choir are accompanied every Sunday by an organist.
Both the sanctuary and the basement are wheelchair accessible and services are held downstairs during the winter months. Services at Middleton United can also be livestreamed for special occasions.
The building, including the hall and its commercial kitchen and the various amenities (two pianos, one on each level; a keyboard; PA system; and projector are available for rental--please contact the church office for times and rates.
A variety of community groups make use of the church hall over the course of the year, including the Scouting movement, the United Church Women, and Meals on Wheels. The Musquodoboit Valley Visitor Information Centre is open in the church entryway during the summer months.
Located in the heart of Middle Musquodoboit, the church is frequently used in collaboration with other groups, including the Bicentennial Theatre and Cultural Centre, the Halifax Exhibition, and the Lions’ Club.
The Musquodoboit Valley cenotaph is located just in front of the church.
A church was first built on the land now occupied by the neighbouring Pioneer Cemetery during the ministry of Rev. John Laidlaw in 1814. That building had two storeys and was said to hold 700 people. In 1868, only 50 years later, it was torn down and sold at public auction.
The present church was originally built as a Presbyterian Church in 1869, on property purchased from Jonathan Layton for $40. The entire cost of construction was $3,440 and it was dedicated for worship on Dec. 12, 1869.
“Middleton” was the maiden name of Rev. Robert Sedgwick’s wife, Jessie Middleton. She led the sewing circle and raised most of the money for furnishings in the new church.
Until 1899, the choir simply took the first two seats in the gallery. Robert Reid donated land for the chancel in memory of his wife Mary Ann Archibald. The sewing circle later raised more money for the stained glass windows.
The church’s first organist was Mrs. Daniel Reid.
In July 1915, two stone tablets were unveiled in memory of both the ministers of the Presbyterian faith who served the church in its first 100 years and the pioneer men and women who, with heroic courage, laid the foundations of Christian worship in the Musquodoboit Valley. These tablets still hang in the church today.
In July 1958, the church was lifted and a foundation poured to create the basement rooms used for much of the church’s work today. The hall includes a kitchen, a classroom, a boardroom, and the church office. All of this was created by volunteers.
At United Church Union, Middleton United Church entered into a pastoral charge with Riverside United, and is still a part of the Middle Musquodoboit Pastoral Charge today.
12430 Hwy 224
Middle Musquodoboit, NS