St. Andrew's United is located in the heart of Elderbank, Nova Scotia, across the road from an idyllic picnic park and canoe launch where the Musquodoboit River winds through the town. It is the oldest church in the Musquodoboit Valley, although the original building was destroyed, having twice been hit by lightning.
St. Andrew's is a large church with a wide chancel and office space, as well as a full kitchen and event space downstairs. It is used for many of the Lower Musquodoboit Pastoral Charge's largest services.
Both the sanctuary and the basement are accessible. The church has a sound system and a large screen for displaying hymns and prayers. Note that on-site parking is limited.
A strong group of community trustees and volunteers has seen St. Andrews' through some challenges in the past few years, as the bell tower and basement have both needed significant repair. The building is well-maintained and now hosts many major Elderbank events, including the annual Turkey supper.
St. Andrew's United may be the only church to have ever been hit by lightning twice. It was saved once, but unfortunately burned down in the 1940s. A man, seeing the church was on fire ran into the sanctuary to save the altar bible. It is now preserved in a glass cabinet in the entry of the church.
The current building was erected in 1949.
36 Elderbank Back Rd
Elderbank, NS, B0N 1K0